Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Wait

After finding the lump (or mass), the hardest part was the wait.  You would think that if you call a doctor and say I found a lump you'd be rushed right over to the emergency room, have it biopsied and immediately begin chemo.  This is so not how it happened with me.  Getting into doctors has been a nightmare.  They act like there is nothing to worry about since some study in 1962 where breast cancer patients who waited two extra weeks for treatment were compared to patients who went straight to treatment.  I've been told that there was hardly any difference in their survival rates and that is supposed to make me feel better about having to wait three months to have the mastectomy.  Well, needless to say I didn't enjoy the wait.  I had horrible dreams, difficulty concentrating and all kinds of resentment towards the doctors.  I'm totally relieved that the wait is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment