Saturday, April 26, 2014

Chemo Care Package

The staff at Christensen & Company gave me the most awesome "Chemo Care Package."  It was perfect timing because I was on day four after my first chemo and was beginning to experience many of the side effects.

This is what the cute little handwritten note said:

I read that chemo has a bunch of side effects, so I decided to put this "chemo care package" together for you.  I hope the contents come in handy for you.

1.  I've read that your mouth can get really dry.  The Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse will help to get your saliva production going.

2.  Along with dry mouth, I read that chemo can also cause mouth sores, the Biotene Toothpaste will help.

3.  A soft toothbrush will help since your sensitive gums may bleed.  (It's pink too for breast cancer.)

4.  Since you will lose your hair there will be no need for shampoo.  The Moisturizing Body Wash will help soothe the itchy scalp.

5.  Applying the lavender baby oil on a tender scalp after a warm shower helps moisturize and keep skin soft.

6.  Staying out of the sun in the summer will be hard.  The sunscreen will help your sensitive skin (SPF 110).

7.  Your skin will experience drying during chemo.  I read a few articles where women said they liked Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion the best, so that's what I got you.

8.  Some people experience a lot of pain, dryness and cracking in their nails during chemo.  Dipping your nails in peroxide every night to clean them, drying them off and then rubbing a dot of tea tree oil on each nail helped soothe and restore them.

9.  Some people get neuropathy pain in their feet.  Using Aquaphor to slather all over your feet every night will feel really good along with aloe infused socks while you sleep.

10.  Chemo can affect how foods taste and smell and your tummy will be sensitive - acid reducers will help.

11.  Finally, the head wrap is for you to wear at home or when you don't feel like wearing your wig.




 
 
I haven't cried many tears since my diagnosis, but finding this at my desk when I so needed it brought me to tears.  Such a thoughtful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment